Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Spring 2008 Drama Ratings Ranking

With the final broadcast of CHANGE last night, this concludes the spring 2008 season. As such, here's the ratings ranking of the season in terms of average rating throughout these 3 months:

*Note that Hachi-one Diver will be showing its last episode this Saturday thus was excluded in this ranking.

The number 1 spot belongs to Gokusen from NTV which has an average rating of 22.81%. Out of its 11 episodes, only the 9th and 10th episode went below the 20% mark thus propelling it to top spot ahead of CHANGE which scored 3.8% higher for its finale last night.

I had no interest in this drama at all thus didn't even watch a single episode. I guess the novelty of the series had already worn off by the time I finished the first series and that I'm rather sick of such nekketsu-kyoshi type of stories by now. Besides, the so-called ikemen in this latest instalment fail to interest me...maybe it's age which has changed my tastes. And I've never liked yanki-type of guys. ^__^

At No.2 is CHANGE which got an average of 22.08%. Well, it only lost to Gokusen by a mere 0.73% despite the fact that it had 4 out of 10 episodes going below 20%. The drama lost to Gokusen for its first O.A. but managed to deal a retalliating blow through the finale.

Well, this was one of the two dramas which I finished in full for this season. I'm neither a fan of Kimutaku nor very impressed with the story but the novelty of seeing how the political system works in Japan kept me staying on. The strong supporting cast made the drama more bearable than becoming a mere Kimutaku personal show. Niracchi saikou!

More on the drama when I watch the finale in full. I was watching the live broadcast last night but that extremely long solo speech by Kimutaku just made me switch off. I have no idea what exactly happened in the end so I will comment on the drama later.

No.3 belongs to Last Friends which did relatively well in terms of critical reviews and ratings. It scored an average rating of 17.73% which was more than 3% ahead of the No.4 drama. And this is one drama which I finished from beginning to the end.

Nagasawa Masami fails to impress me AGAIN while Ueno Juri and Nishikido Ryo were exceptionally outstanding in this drama. Regardless of whether you are a fan of the cast, the story itself is compelling enough to keep you glued to the screen. I think the ending could have been handled better but then, nothing is perfect so I can't ask for too much. These days, a lot of dramas have sloppy endings so I've grown used to it. Anyway, the special episode had too much flashbacks so I was quite irritated to be taken for a ride instead of seeing what happens after the last episode.

And here's the rest of the ranking:

4th: Around 40 (TBS) 14.72%
5th: ROOKIES (TBS) 14.31%
6th: Zettai Kareshi (FujiTV) 13.15%
7th: Shichinin no Onna Bengoshi (TV Asahi) 10.94%
8th: Puzzle (TV Asahi) 10.13%
9th: Osen (NTV) 9.15% ~ I finished the first episode but had no motivation to progress further. Uchi Hiroki's character is a terrible eyesore and Aoi Yu was disappointing.
10th: Kimi Hannin ja nai yo ne (TV Asahi) 8.87%
11th: Ryokiteki na Kanojo (TBS) 8.31% ~ Much as I like Kusanagi Tsuyoshi, the drama was boring. Gave up after 15 minutes.
12th: Hokaben (NTV) 8.21%
13th: Muri na Renai (FujiTV) 7.51%

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

im glad that you're back Erin/Chiaki! i used to a member of the doramaworld forum in invisionfree, and i loved reading your reviews and news articles back then. we have the same taste in dramas, so ive always watched your recommendations.:D

Chiaki said...

hi marienella, thank you for your support. do keep coming back to this blog for more info on dramas and movies.

Anonymous said...

Ah, really? I think Masami did a better job than in Prop dai. ^^;;
But overall, the best Masami was in SAilor Fuku to Kikanju. She's pretty good in there. :D

Ah, I agree with you, Ryokiteki na Kanojo was indeed boring! >.<
But I gave up after watching first episode which took time for around two weeks. XD

Chiaki said...

I've never really taken a liking to Nagasawa Masami other than the first time I saw her in Sekai no Chuushin de Ai wo Sakebu. Since then, it has gone downwards every single time I see her in a drama or movie. I just don't understand why she always act in the same manner these days. Maybe it's the range of roles she has been given but honestly speaking, a good actress can do well even if it's a trashy role. She isn't skilful enough at this stage to perform such a feat.

I only finished three episodes of Proposal Daisakusen and stopped because of her and Yamapi. I can't comment on Sailor Fuku because I didn't watch it at all.