Monday, August 26, 2013

Utada Hikaru releases first statement regarding her mother's suicide

Utada Hikaru released her first statement on 26 August following the suicide of her mother Fuji Keiko who committed suicide on 22 August. In the statement published on her official website, this is what she wrote:

"In the morning of 22 August, my mother decided to end her life herself. As there are lots of speculation theories going around, I wish to talk a bit about this and reveal that she (Fuji) had been tormented by a mental illness for a long time.

Due to her temperament (Fuji's), it was extremely difficult to get her to undergo treatment out of her own will. Being her family member, it had been a troubling situation for a long time because I didn't know what was best for her. Since I was a child, I saw how her symptoms worsened and how she grew not to trust anyone including her family members. The border between reality and imagination became increasingly blur to her and she couldn't control her emotions nor actions. I was at the mercy of all these but I couldn't do anything to help her.

Although I hope that my mother would have been released of the torture she had been suffering all these years, her last action is no doubt very saddening and leaves me with full of regret. I know that she may be misunderstood by many people...she may have been a timid person but she was assertive, she had a strong sense of justice, she loved to laugh, she was quick-witted, she was rash like a child which was dangerous, she was a scatterbrain but she was still a cute person. Despite the abundance of sad memories, I remember her smiling face when I think of of my mother. I am proud to be my mother's daughter and is thankful for being able to meet her. I would also like to thank everyone for the many warm words for me and feel that many people are supportive. Thank you very much."

Source: Nikkansports

No comments: